Moseley Road Baths - photos

Wassup?

Moseley Road Baths - photos

Postby editorialgirl » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:00 am

The Birmingham Flickr group went around Moseley Rd Baths yesterday. We were told we could go anywhere (apart from the wash room, which we didn't find anyway) so came away with some great shots of the now derelict first class pool and upstairs quarters.

Here are three of mine:

Image Image Image

Here's my full Moseley Road Baths photoset
And here are everyone else's photos (more going up over the next few days, I expect)
editorialgirl
Site Dictator

Re: Moseley Road Baths - photos

Postby Bill Lees » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:27 pm

Some nice photies, there Em. But isn't the old place in a helluve state?

Still well worth saving, of course.
Bill Lees

Postby editorialgirl » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:11 pm

Bill Lees wrote:Some nice photies, there Em. But isn't the old place in a helluve state?

Still well worth saving, of course.

Yes, it's in a dreadful state. There seem to be a lot of little things that could be done to save disaster in the future, but it's almost as if they're letting it run down on purpose.

For example, there's a pinhole leak in a water pipe above the unused pool. All it would take to fix it is a stepladder (it's not very high at all) and some epoxy tape (or even a bit of rubber and a pipe clamp, which would last a few years)... but no.

Instead, this tiny leak has already rusted all the metal in the seats and railings on the two stands below it, decayed all the plastic and rubber on the two floors - and is presumably therefore destabilising the structure underneath.

You can see the amount of rust this little leak has caused on the right of this picture, next to the "shallow end" sign. (And to the right of that, another leak going down the wall. There were a lot of those, too.)

I think that depressed me the most. It implied that there is no intent to stop the rot at all.

As for upstairs, most of it is structurally sound (bar one staircase that's starting to go wobbly, and some holes in the roof) - it only really requires a cosmetic makeover. But even if they got it done, what would they use the rooms for?
editorialgirl
Site Dictator

Postby editorialgirl » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:50 pm

There's a new post on the Friends of Moseley Road Baths blog about the Flickrmeet - and they've used one of my photos :)

http://www.friendsofmrb.co.uk/2009/10/f ... oad-baths/
editorialgirl
Site Dictator

Return to Chat